Surfed Craigslist for an apartment lately? Then you don’t need us to tell you that rent in San Francisco is too damn high. But what are the broader implications of this becoming a city where median asking rent is above $3,000?
Here’s an example. Today, District 11 Sup. John Avalos shared a story with the Guardian about his arrival to San Francisco in 1989. He had $1,000 to his name, enough to cover rent and a security deposit. He landed a job that paid just $8 an hour, but that was no big deal, since he split the rent for his $675-per-month, two-bedroom apartment in the Haight with a friend.
Translate those 1989 figures to 2013 dollars, and the dramatic rent increases the city has experienced really come into focus. With inflation factored in, that same two-bedroom apartment would cost $1,253 per month today. Noticed any Craigslist ads for two-bedroom apartments in the Haight going for $1,253 lately? (If so, be careful. It's probably a scam.) Rents for such units hover closer to $4,000 these days.
Avalos joined his colleagues on the Board of Supervisors in highlighting issues of affordability at Tuesday's meeting. “San Francisco needs to do something specifically to measure how people, particularly those on the bottom rung, are getting by in San Francisco," he commented just prior to the vote for board presidency.
District 9 Sup. David Campos echoed this sentiment. "I want a city that works, but I want a city that works for everyone,” Campos said. “We have to work collectively to make sure that happens ... We have great wealth in the city, but many people are being pushed out."
Most Commented On
- so, IOW, that "panel" was hopelessly biased towards - June 18, 2013
- JAW, corporations do not pay VAT - they pass it on. - June 18, 2013
- Consider yourself disturbed. - June 18, 2013
- His family situation is irrelevant. Tim was insubordinate and so - June 18, 2013
- Whenever I am searching for - June 18, 2013
- So why do we even hear about - June 18, 2013
- Ireland - June 18, 2013
- No, because most successful people do not cause any problems - June 18, 2013
- Richmondman, obviously if the SFH is a post-79 build then the - June 18, 2013
- The UK corporate tax rate is 21%. In Ireland it's 10%. - June 18, 2013